Immigration Newsletter

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Vermont CBP Advises Travelers, Prepare for Busy Holiday and Increased Traffic -

Vermont CBP Advises Travelers, Prepare for Busy Holiday and Increased Traffic -

St. Albans, Vt. - In an effort to provide the best possible service to the traveling public, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials throughout Vermont and New Hampshire are proactively reminding members of the traveling public to make sure they have the proper documents, and to plan for a possible increase in traffic over the Labor Day/Labour Day (August 31 - September 3) weekend.
In compliance with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), all travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, need to present an approved travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. Air travelers need a Passport while those traveling by land or sea may use a variety of documents to include a Passport, Passport Card, Trusted Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST), an Enhanced Driver’s License or approved Tribal Documents. U.S. and Canadian children under the age of 16 can present an original or copy of their birth certificate. Use of WHTI compliant, RFID enabled documents reduces the time it takes to process travelers and expedites their entry at the border. For more information, please visit the WHTI Web site. ( )
CBP also reminds U.S. lawful permanent residents that the I-551 form (green card) is acceptable for land and sea travel into the U.S., and frequent cross-border travelers are encouraged to participate in the NEXUS program, which allows pre-screened, low-risk travelers to proceed with little or no delay into the United States and Canada. Application forms are available on the Canada Border Services Agency and CBP Web sites. For more information, please visit the CBSA and CBP Web sites. CBSA-ASFC ) ) Additionally, NEXUS information is available toll-free at (866) NEXUS 26 ((866) 639-8726).
Tip 1 - Travelers should prepare for the inspection process before arriving at the inspection booth. Please have crossing documents available for the inspection including a WHTI approved document for U.S. citizens. For more information, please visit the “Get You Home” website. )
Tip 2 - Vehicle occupants should not use cell phones while approaching the port or during the inspection process. Cell phone usage slows down the inspection process and causes delays for everyone in line.
Tip 3 - Alcohol/Tobacco/Firearms. In addition to federal laws, travelers entering the U.S. at ports of entry are also subject to all state alcohol/tobacco/firearm laws. Often times, state laws can be more restrictive than federal laws. If transporting any of these items, please check with local law enforcement to see if any restrictions apply.
Tip 4 - Travelers should build extra time into their trips in the event they cross during periods of exceptionally heavy traffic.
Tip 5 - Alternate Routes. During periods of heavy travel, border crossers may wish to consider alternative entry routes. For example, they may want to use the nearby and less heavily traveled Derby Line (Rt. 5) instead of the Derby Line (I-91) port. For more information on border crossing times, which are updated hourly, please visit the CBP “Border Wait Times” website. (BWT )
Tip 6 - Currency. There is no limit on total amount of monetary instruments that may be brought in or taken out of the U.S. However, if you are transporting more than $10,000 you must file a Report of International Transportation of International Currency or Monetary Instruments (FinCen 105 – this form is available at the port of entry). Failure to properly declare or report the importation or exportation of currency or monetary instruments in excess of $10,000 could result in seizure.
Tip 7 - Food items. Prepared foods for personal consumption or for family/friend gatherings is allowed. If bringing food items for resale or for commercial use, go to or contact your local CBP office for more information. )However, if you plan to cross the border with fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables and you are not sure if they are allowed into the United States, please check with your local CBP office before arrival.
Tip 8 - Goods and gifts. When crossing the border, all travelers and vehicles are subject to search. Please keep this in mind when transporting gifts for special occasions. Remember to “declare everything purchased or acquired outside of the United States. If duty is applicable, credit cards or cash payment in U.S. currency is acceptable.
Tip 9 - Medicine/Narcotics. Travelers must declare medications at the border. All valid non-expired prescription medications should be in the original prescription containers with all pertinent information listed on the outside. Narcotics and dangerous drugs are prohibited entry. There are severe civil and/or criminal penalties if imported.
Tip 10 - Pets. Cats and dogs must be free of disease and illness when entering the U.S. In addition, dog owners must be able to show proof of rabies vaccination. If crossing with a puppy, certain paperwork will need to be completed at the border for the “new addition to the family.”
Tip 11 - Firewood. Travelers wishing to bring Canadian-origin firewood should be aware of the U.S. Department of Agriculture treatment requirements. Non-commercial shipments of firewood must include a heat treatment certificate or have an attached treatment label. All untreated firewood will not be allowed entry and will require you to turn back for disposal of the wood. Visit for more information on this requirement. )
The border travel tips will be of assistance in averting any potential frustrations when crossing the border during your travels. If you have questions, you may also contact the Port of Derby Line at (802) 873-3316 or the Port Highgate Springs at (802) 868-2278.
For more information on traveling to or from the U.S. or locating a CBP office, please visit the CBP Web site. )
Port NameAddressHours of Operation
Passenger Vehicles
Highgate Springs480 Welcome Center Road
Swanton, VT 05488
Highgate SpringsNEXUS Lane0630-0830 daily
1500-1800 on Fridays
Burlington Airport228 Aviaton Ave
Suite 100
South Burlington, VT 05403
Alburgh200 Line Road
Alburgh, VT 05440
Alburgh Springs303 Alburgh Springs Rd
Alburgh Springs, VT 05440
Morses Line4475 Morses Line Road
Franklin, VT 05457
Richford705 Province Street
Richford, VT 05476
East RichfordRoute 105A
357 Glen Sutton Road
Richford, VT 05476
Pinnacle14 Pinnacle Road
Richford, VT 05476
West Berkshire7823 West Berkshire
Enosburgh Falls, VT 05450
Derby Line (I-91)107 Interstate 91 South Derby
Line, VT 05830
Derby Line (Rt. 5)Route 5
Derby Line, VT 05830
North Troy743 VT Route 243
North Troy, VT 05859
Beebe Plain3161 Beebe Road
Beebe, VT 05823
Norton115 Route 147 North
Norton, VT 05907
Canaan387 VT Route 141
Canaan, VT 05903
Beecher Falls1429 VT Route 253
Beecher Falls, VT 05902
Pittsburg6293 North Main Street
Pittsburg, NH 03592

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control, and protection of our Nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment