Immigration Newsletter

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Program Offering Immigrants Reprieve Is Off to Quick Start - NYTimes.com

Program Offering Immigrants Reprieve Is Off to Quick Start - NYTimes.com

Julia Preston for the NYT writes:



One month after the Obama administration started a program to suspend deportations of young illegal immigrants, more than 72,000 of them have applied for the temporary reprieve, senior immigrationofficials said on Tuesday, and this week the first approvals have been granted.

The figures for applications received so far — the first results the administration has released since a federal agency began receiving the documents on Aug. 15 — show that large numbers of young immigrants are ready to take the risk of coming forward, administration officials and immigrant advocates said, and that the agency in charge has been able to manage the rush of paperwork.
The immigrants requesting two-year deportation deferrals do not reach the high estimates of 250,000 that officials had said they were prepared to handle in the first month of the program, which is President Obama’s most significant immigration initiative.
click the link to see the rest of the article